Lighthouse at Barns Ness built by David A Stevenson, Engineer. The light was first exhibited on 1 October 1901 The tower is 121 feet high, and is constructed of stone from Craigree. The stone was proved to be hard as Barns Ness was machine gunned during the War, but no damage was sustained. The lighthouse was manned by two lightkeepers until 1966; it then changed to one keeper as the light was being converted to semi-automatic operation. A sealed beam light, powered by mains electricity, replaced the old mantle and paraffin-operated light. The candlepower of the light was 1,300,000 and was the first of its type to be used in the Commissioners’ Service.